The Secret To Keeping Bed Bugs Out Of Your Williamsburg Home
With their prevalence in run-down motels or used mattresses, it can be tempting to think of bed bug infestations as something that only happens on dirty properties. But the truth is that bed bugs can happen to anyone and getting complacent on proper pest control can result in your home being yet another place where these common invaders thrive. Learning how you can prevent them and why you should call experts at the first sign will ensure you never suffer their itchy bites.
Bed Bugs Can Happen To Anyone
Unlike other pests, which crawl around and gain access to properties for food and shelter, bed bugs spend their entire lives at their nesting and feeding grounds. But how is this possible with such small insects that can’t get far on their own? Bed bugs let their hosts do all the work for them, that’s how. Rather than find ways inside of a structure, bed bugs simply cling to the clothing and belongings of unsuspecting people, hitching rides from one contaminated area to the next. It’s this behavior that allows them to be tracked easily into virtually any home or business, and bed bugs take advantage of human activity to maximize their potential to spread. That’s why it’s not just dirty or poorly managed properties that can wind up with bed bugs, so it pays to learn how infestations usually start and how you can reduce your risk.
How Infestations Usually Start
Bed bugs are often introduced to homes in one of the following ways:
- Travel: Bed bug hotspots include hotels, airports, and bus stations—all places where thousands of people congregate and potentially transmit bed bugs to each other.
- Containers: Bed bugs don’t just cling to people, they’ll also hitch rides inside of luggage or containers that are shipped through the mail. That’s right, you don’t even have to leave your home for bed bugs to get brought in without your knowledge.
- Used Items: Second-hand clothing, furniture, and appliances can all also carry bed bugs.
How To Prevent Bed Bugs
With so many different ways for bed bugs to get brought into your home, often without you even being aware, total prevention is almost impossible. While making smart decisions and being diligent can help, you still need to be aware that bed bugs can happen to anyone at any time. Here are some ways to reduce your risk:
- Washing: Routinely washing sheets and stored linens will reduce the likelihood that bed bug populations are growing in these areas without your knowledge.
- Smart Buying: While used items can save you some immediate money, you need to make extra sure they don’t cost you in the long run. Thoroughly inspect items before purchase and again before bringing them inside.
- Inspections: Professional inspections can help you rest assured that no pest problems are growing without your knowledge.
Only The Pros Can Remove Them
Bed bugs aren’t just difficult to prevent, they are downright impossible to eliminate on your own. Not only can pest experts provide you with more tips and tricks for spotting and preventing bed bugs, but professional solutions are also the only way to completely root out a bed bug infestation. At-home methods likely won’t work, and even if they come with some success they won’t do anything to address the hundreds of bed bug eggs that may be hidden elsewhere on your property. That’s why you should turn directly to National Exterminating for thorough bed bug prevention and control. Our friendly staff can give you more tips to help you make smart travel and shopping decisions, as well as reduce your home’s risk of pest infestations of all kinds. If bed bugs are already there, act fast by calling us today.
Don’t let your home fall victim to parasitic bed bugs, contact National Exterminating today to learn more about our Williamsburg, VA pest control services.